Friday, March 14, 2014

One Ingredient, Vegan, Healthy, All Natural Ice Cream!


Recently I came across an amazing Instagram which belongs to an incredible girl from Brisbane. The account is called Alouette_ (Link) and she posts such inspiring images of her plant based diet. Her pictures are beyond beautiful, and show food that is completely natural and vegan. I was totally inspired by a particular post of hers, which is layered ‘nice cream’, as she calls it, in a jar. The colours were beautiful and vibrant, and I couldn’t believe they were made using just 1 ingredient plus another ingredient to flavour.

This ice cream is made only using bananas! They are nature’s magical fruit! When blended, food processed or whizzed up using a food mixer, they turn into a beautiful creamy blend that is comparable to soft serve. Bananas are so good for you! They’re high in potassium, great for heart function, contain vitamin compounds that are great for your eyes, and aid weight loss by filling you up. Below is my step by step guide with pictures on how I made my version of this wonderful vegan, all natural, completely healthy ice cream!


So, I started preparing my bananas the day before by peeling them and slicing them into small chunks. I placed those in a bag and let them freeze solid overnight.


Then I whipped out my food mixer stick and whizzed them up using circular motions around the bowl to make sure I didn’t miss any. Look how creamy and amazing they look!


Then I took a tablespoon of natural, organic cocoa powder and dumped it in there. Then, using a low mix setting (because over mixing your ice cream can make it go weird), I stirred and blended all the powder through until it looked like a convincing chocolatey colour. It looks incredible! I didn’t realise it would look so much like real ice cream, but seriously, it does. 



For my next layer, I froze bananas and sliced strawberries. Guys, make your lives easier and DON’T freeze the strawberries! They go rock hard and are so difficult to blend! I removed the frozen ones in the end and swapped them for fresh strawberries which blended up way easier. It turned the ice cream a gorgeous pinky colour. Delicious looking!


For my next layer, I froze bananas and sliced strawberries. Guys, make your lives easier and DON’T freeze the strawberries! They go rock hard and are so difficult to blend! I removed the frozen ones in the end and swapped them for fresh strawberries which blended up way easier. It turned the ice cream a gorgeous pinky colour. Delicious looking!



For those of you who enjoy your ice cream a bit firmer, I’d suggest leaving it in the freezer for a couple of hours after you make it. It really solidifies then and acts like real ice cream. In terms of other flavours, the possibilities are endless!
Vegan flavour options: Peanut butter, Mint leaves, Coconut, Honey, Cinnamon,
Other flavours: Nutella, Strawberries and Cream, Milk Chocolate
Then you can garnish your ice cream in any way you like. I’ve got my eye on almonds, chia seeds, pistachio and honey. Mmmm!


Have you ever used this recipe? What other flavour combinations are there? Leave me a note in the comments for inspiration!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig