Monday, June 23, 2014

Travelling Round Europe - one

So, something has been stirring within me this week. I’m notoriously timid and I have always loved having ‘mummy’ to do everything for me! Since moving back to England, I’ve been getting a taste for the independent, adventurous life. One of the main reasons for me moving back was so that I could live a richer and more fulfilling existence! With this said, I have decided that I’m going to take a step out into the world of independence and I’m taking myself off on my travels!

I’ve always been completely fascinated by Europe; it’s a continent absolutely full of history and stories (and I know this series is going to bore a lot of you to death!) but I’m so excited that I’ll be able to experience places like Versailles and Coliseum first hand. As well as that though, I’m going to make full use of the beautiful parks, beaches and waterparks! I’ll be writing some blog posts about my planning process, and savings progress, and then once I’m away I’ll keep a diary so I can write all about what I’ve been up to while I’ve been away.

Everything is in really early stages just now, but I know for certain that I’m going by myself and I’m going on the interrail, which is a train ticket you can buy which covers you for the whole of Europe! I’ve decided to go by myself because I really feel as though this type of journey can shape the person you are, and teach you things you need to know about life. Plus I'm feeling a bit selfish and I want to take myself wherever I like and see all the things I want to. 



I've been looking at hostels and sorting out a budget; at the moment it looks like I'm going to need about £1300 for everything. I'll be staying in dorm rooms most of the time, apart from in Barcelona where I've decided I'll treat myself to a single room with it's own en-suite (luxury! haha). To save, I've set up a separate bank account and I'm currently job hunting for bar work and restaurant work; places I can cram in loads of hours on top of my usual cafe waitressing. 

As you can see, my main interest is in the southern cities of Italy and Spain, and I'll be spending way over half of my month away in the warmer cities where I can lounge around on the beaches and make the most of the sun. I wrote an 'Achievements list' of things I'd like to do in each city. Here is a brief synopsis of my list!

Berlin: History Museum, Eat a Frankfurt sausage
Paris: Crepes, Tour Eiffel, Louvre, Moulin Rouge
Florence: Gelato, Pizza, Pasta
Rome: Museums, Coliseum Tour, Pantheon 
Barcelona: Sunbathe, Tapas, Swim in the Mediterranean
Madrid: City parks, El Rastro, Churros
Albufeira: Waterparks, Sunbathe, Kayak

I'll be posting regularly-ish on any new developments with this. Once things start getting booked and I get my savings looking nice I'll have a lot more to write about this! I know this is quite different from my usual stuff but I'm not going to be turning this into a travel blog or anything. I'd love to know any recommendations on hostels and things to do in the cities! I'm going literally for the first time and I'll be exploring everything with brand new eyes. I'm so excited!!




SHARE:

5 comments

  1. This is so exciting! I really hope it doesn't take you too long to save up. I'm off to Paris next month so I'll be sure to recommend some things :) Good luck! xxx

    Mimisargeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about traveling around solo for quite some time now so this is such an inspiring post for me! I've always been the type of person who relies a lot on their mum and I think traveling solo would be such a great experience to build independence and as you said to shape who you are! Good luck and be sure to let us know how everything goes!

    Chantalle x
    ceceandgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea and setting up a separate bank is a great way to save. Cant wait to see how you get on!!

    Gaby x
    theglamdottylife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! And can't wait to see how you get on. :) x

    naomix
    thinkfashionx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do this! Don't think I could do it alone though haha but good on you!

    http://www.daenabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig