Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Breathing Easy - Quitting Smoking


This isn’t a topic I really wanted to address on my blog because I’m aware that it taints the way a lot of my readers might view me. I’ve not been smoking for a very long time, but I fall quite heavily into habits (nail biting, lip chewing etc) and the past few months allowed smoking to get really under my skin. I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to quit, and I thought I’d write a list of reasons why that can help remind me what I want to achieve and remind me what a good thing it is that I’m doing! Hopefully, if any of you are in the same boat, this post can help you too.

Money
First things first, smoking is one of the most expensive habits. A pack costs me about £7.50, and when I think about the amount I’ve spent over the course of the last few months I cringe! If I added that up, I could be walking around in a lovely big faux fur coat or with a pretty handbag instead, something much more meaningful and useful. I’ve been putting the money I would have been spending on cigarettes into a jar on my dresser, and hopefully in a few months there’ll be a good chunk of money to help me feel rewarded!

It’s disgusting and not the person I want to be
I look at ashtrays and just think they’re foul, but very rarely make the connection that I’m inhaling this horrible, stinking smoke and it’s clogging me up from the inside out. I want to be a positive, healthy, happy role-model type person and smoking just doesn’t fit in with that.

Health and Hygiene
I started to suffer with trouble breathing when I slept and had a cold that just wouldn’t go away because I didn’t think smoking was affecting it, but it was. That’s when I realised I had to give it up, because I’m just too delicate and my health and ability to sleep is much more important to me than standing out in the freezing cold rain to have a cigarette. On top of this, my fingernails get dirty, my teeth never really felt clean and it made my breath smell awful. It was only a matter of time until my skin started to clog up with smoke and dirt and my pores would look horrendous and spots would begin to cause trouble.

Winter is the best time to quit!
Who really wants to go and stand outside freezing and getting rained on to have a cigarette? It’s nonsense. When all of my work friends are going outside one by one to get rained on and wind blasted, I’ll be smugly sitting by the fire inside instead. Winter makes it easier to quit because it’s much more difficult to find the motivation to go outside into the tundra.

What are your top quitting smoking tips?  




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig