Saturday, September 29, 2018

PEGGY PORSCHEN REVIEW


If I haven’t already bored you to tears with my last few Instagram pictures, then I’d like to bombard you (again) with more baby-pink than could ever be necessary, and review my trip to Peggy Porschen Cakes. 

After visiting, and falling in love with, Saint Aymes in Marble Arch (blog post here), I decided that I’d like to start conquering all the Instagrammable places around London. It’s a hub for OTT restaurants and extra shop-fronts, so I’m making it my mission.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ll probably have seen or heard of Peggy Porschen. It’s a bakery/cafe near Victoria Train Station, with a pastel pink exterior and a huge floral arch over the door. 


On date-day this week, I told Chris I wanted to come to Peggy Porschen, so I dyed my hair pink and threw on my pastel co-ord set (I mean, y not??) and we headed into central London. It took a bit of finding, but I can’t tell if Google Maps or our tragic navigation skills are to blame. But, luckily, once you’re in the general vicinity of it, you can’t miss it because the whole outside of the shop looks like Barbie’s own cafe.

We waited about 10 minutes for a table (there are only about six tables outside and probably two or three inside) and I would say that it is definitely more of a bakery than a cafe. It’s almost like they decided to stick a coffee machine inside as a bit of an afterthought, because the main attraction is definitely the cookies, cupcakes, and full-size cakes that you can buy in-store or order specially online. But since so many people want that perfect snap for the ‘gram, I think the management realised they could make a fortune if they stuck some seating outside for eating and drinking on-site. I don’t KNOW if that’s the case, but that’s how it felt to me.


Chris and I had a latte each (I had vanilla, Chris had cinnamon), and I chose the Lemon, Raspberry and Rose layer cake. Chris tried one of their Halloween/Autumn specials; the Sticky Toffee Cupcake. My coffee was okay, but the cake was honestly gorgeous. The icing (which I normally hate (to be honest I just usually hate cake in general)) was creamy and smooth, and so unlike that shite you get on birthday cakes or cheap supermarket ones. Chris said his cupcake was good, but didn’t taste overly like sticky toffee, but he said he still enjoyed it. 

And let’s not forget to tell you about the swarm of wasps that decided that they wanted in on our coffees and cakes. Granted, wasps have plagued me all summer long, and I should be used to them by now, but we had about three of the little feckers buzzing around the whole time. I ended up eating my cake standing on the pavement. Chris, who has too much pride than to allow himself to flap and scream and run away, elected to remain seated and waft the wasps away. It’s not Peggy’s fault; they’d even dipped little decorative pumpkins in peppermint oil (which wasps are meant to hate) and placed them on the outside tables. But hey, warm weather and sugary food and drinks. What ya gonna do?

They bake the cakes from scratch every day at Peggy Porschen, and obviously spend a whole lot of time and effort decorating them. My layer cake had a raspberry, edible petals and other decorative bits on the top, and was so pretty and delicious. The’ve also put a lot of thought into their Halloween décor and recipes; there are pastel pink broomsticks and metallic silver skulls as decoration, and they are offering spiced pumpkin and skull-themed cakes.



All in all, our bill came to £22.44. I don’t know what you guys think about that. Everyone has a different perception of priciness, but I was a semi-appalled at that being the price for two bang average coffees, a slice of cake and a cupcake. They add a discretionary service charge of 12.5%, which I had NO qualms about because the girl who served us (who also spent about 15 minutes of her life trying to swat away the wasps) was funny, friendly, and we felt like nothing was too much trouble for her. 

I loooooved visiting Peggy Porschen, but perhaps not for the coffee and cakes (or wasps). I got some wicked pictures, and it was a lovely way to spend a sunny September afternoon. The cakes were honestly amazing, but the coffees weren’t great. In future, I’d probably ask to sit inside to avoid the swarms, or just get some of their treats to take away. But I will definitely be walking past it again for some outfit pics under the floral archway!

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig