Saturday, October 6, 2018

COVERAGE VS SERUM | THE ORDINARY FOUNDATION REVIEW


I’m never late in real life. I turn up to work half an hour early so I can take Instagram stories of me pulling faces at the hideous prospect of working. I’m always early at a restaurant so I can check the menu and decide what I’m having before my mates turn up and distract me from my one true love (food). But for some reason, I’m always about a year late to the makeup hype. Deciem’s The Ordinary brand popped up on our Instagram feeds and had everyone noticing, gasping, and practically weeping with joy and excitement. But for some reason it’s taken me until now to bring their Serum Foundation and their Coverage Foundation home to mumma…


The Ordinary is an evolving collection of mostly treatments (like skincare) and makeup products. So far, we’ve only got the two foundations, and about 50 million bottles of various acids that  f r a n k l y  I’m too scared to try. But a quick check on their website reveals that we can look forward to Watercolours and Matte Watercolours, whatever they might be! The brand is owned by Deciem (who I honestly never heard of until we all heard about The Ordinary) and the whole concept is to challenge the pricing norms in the beauty and skincare industry. They’ve released very effective and widely-loved products at teeny tiny prices, and it’s made us lot look at giant brands (Benefit Cosmetics, Estee Lauder, Clinique, I’m talking about u) with a bit of skepticism. Basically, we shouldn’t be paying out of our arses for products that work; we can get them on the cheap (and should be!).

But let’s talk about the foundations themselves. I mean, I know I’m so late that you’ve probably read all this over a year ago on someone who cares to keep up to date’s blog. With that being said, they’re really good foundations. There’s the Serum Foundation, a ‘lightweight, natural coverage foundation’, and the Coverage Foundation ‘a lightweight, full coverage foundation’. 


I bought mine on BeautyBay.com, which is probably my fave online makeup shop, although I am trying to steer more towards buying makeup in person to avoid colour-match catastrophes. Having said that, I used the Foundation Matrix on Temptalia to find my shades, and came up with the shade 1.2N. 1.2N is described on the website as ‘light neutral’.



To compare the two foundations to each other, the Serum Foundation is £5.75, comes in 21 colour options, has an SPF15, and is rated 4.7 stars. The Coverage Foundation is £5.95, comes in 22 colour options, also has an SPF15 and is rated 4 stars. When pumped out onto the back of your hand or a brush, the Serum Foundation is very thin and liquidy; it’ll disappear into a foundation brush quite quickly. The Coverage Foundation is a thicker consistency, which is what you might be more used to from a foundation. The foundations both have a high coverage, despite being marketed as two quite different foundations. The Serum Foundation looked slightly darker than the Coverage Foundation in the bottles, but the shades were almost identical once swatched and applied.


To cut too much waffling out, I love them both, but I prefer the Serum Foundation. I didn’t expect to, to be honest. I’m a full coverage gal, but the Serum Foundation provides such a beautiful level of coverage and looks glowy. To be honest, I’d say the Serum Foundation is a full coverage foundation. It does aaaaaall the jobs and more, so much so that I eschewed all other foundations in favour of this one to take on our European travels. For such little money, these foundations are a revelation. I’d encourage anyone who wants a good quality everyday foundation to consider these. They’re brilliant little bottles of bae and will make you think twice about spunking £40 on a foundation ever again.


Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig