Thursday, December 13, 2018

LIZ EARLE DEEP CLEANSING MASK REVIEW


How do you even start a beauty blog post any more? 

“Hello, and welcome back to my blog!”
“Look what IIIIIIIIII’ve goooooottttt!”
“Wagwan bitches, check this out”

It’s been ages since I just wrote a beauty review, which is what I started this bloody blog for in the first place. I’m feeling like I do want to get back to basics a little bit. I felt my blog getting a bit confused over the last year; I had sooo much content I wanted to put in - university, travelling, food, eating out - that I ended up barely covering anything. If JasmineMcRae was supposed to be a beauty blog, it was literally the worst beauty blog on the face of the earth because I honestly think I only wrote a total of about three paragraphs on makeup or skincare this year, all in all. I felt so far removed from being a ‘beauty blogger’, and my identity as a blogger got a bit muddled. And I’d really like to know what in the heck is going on with my blog, my YouTube, my Instagram, etc etc etc. So, here we are with an  a c t u a l  beauty review on the Liz Earle Deep Cleansing Mask. *Gasp!*



As a basic bitch with no concept of the value of money, especially one that spends large amounts of time loitering in the Debenhams makeup section and perving over beauty products on the interwebz, I would definitely describe myself as a goo-hoarder; 
when girls hoard large amounts of shampoos, nail polishes, lip-glosses, and general goo-esq makeups.” - Urban Dictionary.

But my goo-hoarding comes mainly in the form of face masks. I must have about 15 open and on the go at the moment. The SHAME. I’ve got Origins masks, Superdrug’s own branded ones (which are surprisingly good), the Body Shop masks, little pots of the horrifically overpriced GlamGlow masks, LUSH fresh face masks, Korean sheet masks, ugh, the list is endless. So, if we can re-label myself from a ‘hoarder’ to a ‘face mask connoisseur’, I’d be happier about that. Now, hear my wisdom…

For the steep-ish price of £18, you can waltz into Boots, grab one of those ridiculous metal baskets that your mascaras and eyeliners fall right through the holes of, pick up the “Liz Earle Deep Cleansing Mask 75ml Starter Kit” and be on your merry way. The starter kit is what I’d recommend if, *shock*, you’re just starting to use the mask. It contains the full-size (75ml) mask itself, plus two deep cleansing mask sponges. 


I’ve been using Liz Earle religiously since I got my first Hot Cloth Cleanser for my 21st birthday, and I was one of those twats who didn’t realise they had sensitive skin, so would insist on using foamy cleansers, scrubs with flipping ACID in them, anything to try to keep my skin from being oily and spotty. Liz Earle’s Skincare regime was a bit of a revelation to me; all of the ingredients are natural, responsibly sourced and cruelty free. Their packaging is created with the environment in mind, all products are suitable for vegetarians, and they don’t try to sell you a bunch of unnecessary shite in an attempt to turn a profit (crystal facial rollers and skincare stickers, I am  S T A R I N G  at you). 

This mask has slotted in quite nicely with my daily Cleanse, Tone and Repair routine, although I only use it twice a week. The mask contains Green Clay, Manuka Honey (sorry, my vegan homies), Propolis and Rose-Scented Geranium and was created to deeply purify the skin and to reduce oiliness. 

The online information on the Boots website says: “use as an all-over face treatment, or to target blemish-prone areas. Apply after cleansing, smooth a generous layer of the mask over face and neck, avoiding eyes, lips and hairline. Relax for 5-10 minutes. Wipe away residue with thoroughly rinsed sponges. Splash face with cool water. Use 2-3 times a week, either as an all-over face treatment or to target specific areas of concern.” 


My face mask connoisseur-ness says: This mask is a good ass mask. It’s quite different to many of the masks I’ve used, especially considering it contains clay. I was expecting this mask to have a thicker, smoother consistency, but it’s actually relatively thin and runny to apply. The label says to apply a generous layer…well HAR HAR because that’s easier said than done when the stuff is sliding around all over the place and being taken off when you’re trying to apply more. 

A couple of small things I’ve noticed with this mask is that the first few times I used it, it didn’t make me break out like other masks do. I know it’s quite typical of masks to ‘encourage’ a break-out of spots, but I didn’t think this one did at first. I even took to Instagram to praise the fact that you could use this mask anytime in the week and not wake up the next day with a pizza face. ERK. I stand corrected. While this mask didn’t seem to cause me to get spots at first, it definitely does bring up all the crap in your skin to the surface and does seem to increase pimples, if only for a day or so. I just don’t think a mask exists that doesn’t do this! ALSO! This mask is not recommended for sensitive skin. My skin type is combination/oily and sensitive, but I wasn’t aware that this mask wasn’t intended for sensitive babes when I bought it. It gives me a very very *slight* sizzle when I first put it on, but I don’t get a reaction/rash/redness after using it. 

But that aside, the mask is luuuurvely. It’s not my favourite smelling mask, but knowing it is natural and not packed full of fragrances is another reason I really enjoy it. It hardens while it dries, making for difficulty in drinking tea while I wait, but only takes between 10 and 15 minutes to harden completely, so you know it’s done and you can wipe it off using the sponge provided. It definitely makes your skin feel matte when it has been rinsed off; it looks noticeably less shiny and slightly brighter than before. I really like how it makes my skin look and feel; very clean, very purified and smooth.

Lots of love,
Jasmine x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig