Wednesday, October 16, 2019

BABYLISS WAVE ENVY REVIEW | BEFORE + AFTER


I’ve been obsessed with mermaids for as long as I can remember. And what’s the best thing about mermaids? No, it’s not that they can lure idiotic men to their dooms. It’s their beautiful hair, of course (!?!?) When I was younger, in a cruel conspiracy against me, I discovered that I couldn’t french-plait my hair to get those gorgeous beachy waves. I’d beg my sister to plait my hair for me (because she was amazing at it) and ask my mum to try to curl my hair with our straighteners so I could wake up to that sought-after mermaidy texture. 



My hair never seemed to go quite as wavy as I wanted it to, and never seemed to hold the waves either. Much frustration ensued, and so in around 2011, my sister and I decided to go halves on the Babyliss Wave Envy hair styler. It was the best thing since sliced bread, and we quickly started fighting over it in the bathroom in the morning. We both loved how it made our hair look, and how easy it was to use. Then, after a while, we kind of stopped using it and it made its way into the back of the bathroom cupboard.


Then, scrolling through eBay the other week, guess what popped up in my recommended products!? Well if this isn’t a blast from the past! I spotted this instantly recognisable part-curler-part-crimper in its exact same packaging as yesteryear, and I impulsively (at at great detriment to my savings account) put it straight in my basket. I was, for starters, extremely impressed by the price. I don’t remember exactly how much my sister and I bought it for all those years ago, but £29.99 with FREE postage seems very reasonable considering how much I loved this styler before. 


Before     |    After

The item name on eBay is ‘Babyliss 2337U Wave Envy Ceramic Barrels Ultra Fast Heat Up Hair Styling Curler' and I’m really hoping the product is still up in case any of you lovely lot like the look of this. The styler is rated 4.7 stars on the Babyliss website, and features up to 200 degree heat for fast styling, easy to use barrels, ceramic coated plates, 3 heat settings, an extra-long cord, auto shut-down in case you forget to switch it off and a heat protection mat included. 

What I really love about this is how easy it is to use. I’ve never been one to understand how to curl your hair with a pair of GHDs (and to those of you who’ve mastered it, I salute you absolute magicians) and, like I said, never managed to fathom out those ‘heatless’ curl hacks I always see on YouTube and Instagram. 

This styler is essentially an over-sized crimper. However, instead of making your hair crinkly and sharp-cut, it presses your hair between large, round barrels for romantic, textured waves. I start at the root, press the styler down on my hair for a few seconds, then move it down the strand. It’s seriously as easy as straightening your hair.


I definitely recommend using a heat protective spray, as well as a splash of extra TLC like a nice oil, a mousse or a leave-in conditioner. I’m always really aware of using too much heat on my already-bleached-to-death hair and I’m keen to protect it as much as possible. I also think that the waves look a lot prettier and more story-book-looking if they’re sleek and soft. 


When I use this styler, I can leave the waves in until I next wash my hair. They stay in sooooo well, even after being put up in a bun so I can shower, even after sleeping on them. As a bit of a side-note, I also really like the way my hair looks in a ponytail with the waves in. It looks super feminine, especially when finished off with a hair-scarf for extra whimsy. 


Although I don’t use this every week (i must keep my hair’s health in mind first and foremost!) I’ve always got it in my bedside table for when I fancy changing up my look. As a girl who’s always defaulted to straight hair because that’s all I could comprehend, it’s so nice to see what real beachy waves can do for my appearance and my mood.

All in all, I’m so glad I stumbled across this piece of beauty nostalgia from my teenage years. It’s really reminded me that blogging and feeling beautiful isn’t always all about jumping on the newest hypes and most expensive products! 

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig