Sunday, October 20, 2019

FREE PIZZA NIGHT @ THE STABLE*


I get a few invites to events every now and again, and to be honest; usually I’m too shy to even consider going. A room full of people I don’t know?? No thanks! But then I got an invite to The Stable Free Pizza Night. A room full of free pizza??? YES PLS SIGN ME UP ASAP. 

The Stable has been putting on a Free Pizza Night in each of their 
restaurants around the country as a way of saying thank-you to their customers and welcoming all the new university students to the city. I was so surprised to be invited to their Exeter event, and as an already avid Stable fan, I couldn’t wait to inhale another one of their delicious pizzas.



We arrived fashionably late (definitely NOT because we misjudged the time and had to down our drinks in the bar next door) and the queue was already all the way down the street. The amazing staff at The Stable had put me on the VIP list so we went straight to our table. The atmosphere in the beautiful restaurant and bar was already lively at 7:30pm. I always love the woody interior, the indoor plants and chalkboard menus which all give such a rustic and cosy feel. 

The tables are arranged in a series of longer and shorter benches, making this setting an ideal place for a bigger party or a more intimate dinner date. The exposed candles and the clipboard menus create a snug ambience and I was bloody ravenous when we sat down, so I was eager to see what was on offer. 

In order to claim your free pizza, all you needed to do was buy a drink. I was really lucky to be invited as a guest, so my evening included one of Stable’s signature cider tasting boards - a quirky wooden pallet containing five 1/3 pints for you to sample. SUCH a great idea and SO VERY appealing to my grog-loving tastebuds. The ciders ranged from a suspiciously dark-coloured cider to a fizzy and sweet cider, so there’s something on there for everyone.



So what’s on the menu?
I’ve eaten at the Stable before but it was a chef special - a delicious cajun prawn with lime creation that isn’t on their regular menu, so I was excited to see what they make regularly. It was a extremely hard toss-up between a few choices of pizza…

Do I go for the Lamb Roast - pulled, slow-roasted lamb shoulder, sweet potato, red onion, Rosary goats’ cheese and mozzarella, served with a side of mint sauce? The only lamb I’ve ever had on a pizza has been some greasy doner meat after a few too many gins at a karaoke, so this one sounded a bit boujier than that.

Or the Exmouth Angler…hot smoked salmon, tenderstem broccoli, 
spinach, crushed potato, mozzarella and a free-range egg, topped with a wedge of lemon? Egg on pizza is the biggest YES since leopard print and big hoop earrings came back into fashion.

But I eventually went for the The Blazing Saddle, which consists of slow roasted pulled beef, smoked streaky bacon, caramelised onion, roasted peppers and mozzarella, topped with garlic aioli and jalapeños. If you ever see me saying no to pulled meat of any form, especially when it comes with bacon and verified food-food-of-the-Gods aioli, please call me an ambulance because there’s something seriously wrong with me.


I also love the fact that you can opt for the vegan pizza; The Blazing Jack, whose key ingredient is (you guessed it) jackfruit! The starters and sides are also bloody gorgeous. My favourite is the Pot Of Gold - a dipping pot of West Country cider, melted cheese, rosemary and garlic, served with sliced sourdough and the Rosemary and Thyme Potato Wedges are to die for.



What I loved about The Stable’s Free Pizza Night event was the community feel and warm buzz. There were some guys filming the event, a couple of really talented live musicians and the lovely staff (who must’ve been so rushed off their feet) couldn’t do enough for myself and my guests. 
The pizzas are always second-to-none and to be honest, the perfect amount for one person. As a committed wine-drinker, I must admit that the traditional cider gave me an incredibly sore head the following day. I don’t think I’m a convert to the cloudy stuff, but I finished off the evening with a glass of Pinot which went down a treat. 

I had such a fabulous evening and it was so nice to be able to treat my two guests to a lively, super tasty evening out in my new city; Exeter! I can’t thank The Stable enough for my generous invitation to join them for dinner, cider and some wonderful live music. I already can’t wait for my next visit.

And no, I don’t eat my pizza crusts.

Lots of love,
Jasmine x

*Disclaimer - While I was invited to this event + provided with complementary items through my blog, this has not affected the review I have given. All products + services reviewed are still done so with 100% my honest opinion.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig