Sunday, January 26, 2020

CHRISTMAS STAR FACE + EYE PALETTE | TOOFACED


Not a lot makes me happier than a pretty pastel pink thing. Add in the fact that it’s a makeup palette and by my all time favourite brand Too Faced and I’m practically frothing at the mouth. It’s been a little while since I did an  a c t u a l  beauty review on this blog, so forgive the rustiness, but I couldn’t resist snapping a million pictures of this gorgeous treat and I want to share the absolute gorgeousness with you all. 

Too Faced’s Christmas Star Face + Eye Palette was this year’s festive special. My mum can never fight the urge to send me a limited edition Christmas gift set, and I always end up with something really pretty and special on Christmas morning from her, so big ups Mumma! This luxurious collection has a $213 value and contains 20 eyeshadows, 5 face shades, a mini Better Than Sex Mascara and a mini lip gloss. I was gagged, henny.


Beneath the pastel pink…well…flaps…is a metallic golden star filled with quite a decent array of eyeshadows and face powders. You’ve got your fair share of neutrals which make up about two thirds of the total eyeshadows inside. My favourites are a matte mauve, Cashmere and a warm nude called Toasti. The rest of the eyeshadows are what I’d call ‘loud’; a beautiful royal purple called Ornament To Be, a festive sparkly green, Feliz Navidad and a hot, shimmering pink called Make A Wish. 

I can see myself using four of the five face shades, which include one bronzer, two blushes and two highlights. The bronzer, Chestnuts Roasting, looks nice, if a little warm for me maybe. It’s hard out here for a nigh-on translucent ghoul. The two highlight shades, Lit Up and Let It Glow are perfect. They’re very light so I dare say this palette is probably aimed more at fairer gals [bloody hell, big brands, when will you learn?!]. The other blush, Up To Snow Good seems a little too pink for me as I usually go for the ‘barely there’ blush shades, so I can’t see myself touching that one particularly. 


It’s certainly worth mentioning that this collection is scented with gingerbread, so every time you open the…well….flaps….you’re hit in the face with that sweet smell. Which I personally love, but I know that gingerbread isn’t everyone’s favourite. I can see how it might feel a bit gimmicky - but I’m a sucker for a good gimmick. And as I have found with all Too Faced products; the quality of the products are so bloody good. This is actually my first venture into Too Faced’s powder products because I’ve only owned foundations, concealers, mascaras and eyeliners up until now, but I’m very  v e r y  impressed. The products are very pigmented and the shimmery shades aren’t tacky-looking and full of chunky glitter. They look like liquid precious metals after a single swipe. Ah, I die!

Swatches left to right: Rum Punch, Wish List, Trim The Me, Let It Glow, Ornament To Be.


And now onto my gripes. What the hell is this shape for a palette? Yes, I know it’s Christmas and it’s cute, but this thing is bulky and doesn’t fit in my drawer with all my nice, uniform rectangle palettes. And do you really think a magnetic closure with five flaps coming off it is safe?! If this goes in my bag and comes out with me for the day, it’s going to open itself and go everywhere. End of story. 

I was also a little bit disappointed to see that this collection came in just this set of shades, meaning it’s only really going to appeal to the *cough* white bitches *cough cough* me *cough* of this world. After the uproar after Tarte, Givenchy and Beauty Blender’s lack of shade inclusivity with their beauty releases, you think they’d all be pulling their fingers out. It would’ve been really cool to see this in one or two more varieties for people with different complexions to enjoy as well, because the eyeshadows are honestly amazing but no one with a single melanin cell will bother with it with those face shades around the edge. 

So thank you to Mother for this gift of gingerbread-smelling goodness. This is going to be a palette I start to experiment with soon. I’m eyeing up the more adventurous shades and thinking of ways to get away with a striking metallic purple and rose-gold eye for the office. I’m pretty sure this is on sale now Christmas is over, and if you’re questioning whether or not it’s worth it, just look at those blimmin swatches!

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig