Monday, April 6, 2020

WHAT I DID TODAY | A DAY IN SELF ISOLATION


Happy self-isolation day number 97249539! I bet we’re all glad March is over. So far, 2020 has been a complete and utter shitshow. World War 3 loomed, we lost Kobe and now we’re gripped by a worldwide pandemic. I’ll be honest, I didn’t even know it was April until this morning, and I was faced with yet another day indoors. 

I’ve definitely been lacking in the motivation department since this all kicked off. My round-the-world trip has been postponed indefinitely and I’m struggling to set myself up working from home. Not having my big trip to look forward to has certainly upset me a lot. My mental health has suffered from being inside all the time, and not getting to enjoy my usual daily treats. So it’s all been a draining load of nothing, and it’s so easy to feel all bogged down by my first-world-problems. 

But - and it’s a big but - I’m always very grateful for how lucky I am. I’m living with my Dad, so I don’t have a lot to pay for at the moment. I’ve actually had and recovered from Coronavirus with [I’d say] quite minimal symptoms. And now I’m getting to realise how lucky I am to have this time to myself, and use it to do the things I feel like I don’t usually have time for. So why not write A Day In The Life style post about my day today? Here’s what I got up to…


As we’ve got an extra family member in the house [my brother has moved in with us to protect his at-risk nana who he usually lives with], my new room is the conservatory! I actually love sleeping in the conservatory; you can hear the rain on the roof and it gets so light in the mornings, you just naturally wake up around 7am ready to get on with life. I’ve got all my baby pink bedding and approx. 47 cushions on the sofa-bed out there. I actually prefer the way it’s decorated because it’s all white and blue, so I really won’t complain as I prefer the decor to my own bedroom. Woops! So I got up at 7ish and made myself a cup of tea. Said hello to my Dad as he went out on his bike for the morning and watched a little bit of the news. 


I’ve been binging soooo much Netflix since this all kicked off that they seriously may as well employ me to review their true crime section. I’ve made my way through:
The Madeleine McCann documentary, which I’ve enjoyed because it goes much deeper than the generic news stories and reports we saw at the time.
Abducted In Plain Sight, for the second time - it’s so diabolical that it’s great. It’s about a girl whose family-friend literally seduces both the girl’s parents in order to kidnap their daughter. Crazy.
Out Of Thin Air, the true story of two mysterious murders in Iceland. I really enjoyed this because it’s refreshing to see a true crime documentary set outside of the UK or the USA.
Who Killed Little Gregory, which follows the investigation of a young boy murdered in France in the 1980s. Again, I liked this as it was filmed in French so you really have to pay attention, and it’s different to your usual British or American series.
Cold Case Files really entertained me. Every episode covers a case that gets solved years and years and years after the crime was committed with the help of modern forensic science and features testimony from real family members. So interesting!

And then today I’ve started The Investigator: A British Crime Story which is delving into the case of a bloke who is serving life in prison for his wife’s murder, despite her body never actually being found. From what I’ve seen so far [and I’m two episodes in] this guy is sketchy AF, but we’ll have to wait and see! 



I’ve really been enjoying taking time out of my very strenuous and full on day to do a proper skincare routine. My quarantine-skincare-of-choice has been the Pixi Beauty Skintreats range, which I reviewed on my blog a few months back. I remember nearly throwing up in my mouth when I got to the till and saw it was £66 for this lot, but I’m so glad that I bought them now. I don’t think my skin has ever had TLC like it, and they certainly seem to be doing a good job of keeping the snack-induced spots at bay. 

My current line up consists of the Pixi Skintreats Glow Mud Cleanser which contains 5% glycolic acid to gently exfoliate and purify the skin. I then follow that with the Pixi Skintreats Peel & Polish which is honestly heaven in a bottle. It’s the most professional-feeling thing I’ve ever used at home and it really feels like my skin’s been genuinely resurfaced after using it. Plus it smells like watermelon, so we’re properly winning. Then I’ll finish off with a generous drenching of Pixi Skintreats Rose Tonic, which smells of roses and helps to re-nourish the skin, balance the pH levels and hydrate. 

Today, I also decided to go for a deeper clean with my Liz Earle Deep Cleansing Mask. I luuuurve this, despite it being a little bit harsh on my sensitive skin. It’s one of those masks that brings all the nastiness right up to the surface, so I’m expecting to wake up to a pizza-face tomorrow morning. 

My skin has been T E R R I B L E since we’ve been in lockdown - I can only assume it’s because I’m bundled up on the sofa in a blanket drinking between eighteen and twenty sugary cups of tea a day! But on a serious note, I’m stressed out by being stuck indoors [obviously I know how lucky I am, but it definitely affects my mood] which in turn affects my skin and I touch my face waaaay too much. On top of that, with all the GPs being closed, my contraceptive injection is now 2 weeks overdue, so my hormones are going bloody doolally. So a cleanse and detox was very much needed, and I feel so much better for it!


Now normally, I’d be mortified about writing that I play The Sims on my blog, but it seems like every man and their dog has downloaded it during the last week. Having said that, I do feel a bit territorial over the fact that I’ve been playing The Sims  R I D E   O R   D I E  since I exited the womb and now everyone’s jumped on my hype! Stop crashing my Origin servers you bunch of posers! Just kidding….kinda…

At the moment I’m playing two or three hours a day, and just invested in the Discover University and Island Living expansion packs [they’re all currently on sale!], so I’ve got some new things to be doing. My rich, beautiful sim has a fit artist husband and twins who are grade A students. I’m definitely just living my best life in the game while my real-life falls apart.

Then, this afternoon I spent some time taking some blog photos. Here’s a little behind-the-scenes for you; I use very very cheap wallpaper samples off eBay as my blogpost backgrounds. They only cost about £1 each and I have a few different ones to switch between. They crease terribly, which is very annoying, and it means I tend to replace them every year. But I do think they make your blog posts look more interesting and pretty. I’ve got a few product reviews and a couple more quarantine-themed blog posts planned, and I’m really excited to get those written up. 



I also took myself for a 45-minute walk around near my home. I live at the top of a hill that overlooks the sea, and the weather was gorgeous today, so I definitely made the most of it. It’s very hilly in my area, so I’m hoping that I burned off a few of my cheesy-pasta-calories. While I was wandering around my local streets, I gave a couple of my friends a call for a catch up, which was really lovely. I also discovered a corner shop that I never knew existed! So tomorrow, if I can possible pry myself off the sofa for five minutes, I may pop in there for some bits for lunch. 

In these uncertain times, I hope you are all keeping busy, healthy and safe. But most importantly, AT HOME! If you, or anyone you know is struggling during this period of isolation, try your best to get in touch with friends and family, or even me! I’m as lonely as they come; so I’d love to hear what you’ve been getting up to with all this free time. 

I know it’s all a bit scary at the moment and that things are uncertain. I think it’s really positive to, if you can, view this time as a chance to achieve things you’ve been putting off,
learn a new skill,
break a bad habit,
invest time in creating,
reboot yourself,
take care of yourself! 

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. The Madeleine McCann doc has been on my list for a while! Must start watching it. I've found that my skin has been better recently and have been loving The Ordinary. Danielle | https://www.missdanielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, the Abducted in Plain Sight doc blew my mind, I was literally shouting at the TV throughout it! The Madeleine McCann doc is great too, I kept changing my mind about whether the parents are guilty or not, i'm still not sure! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos of blooming flowers during your walk. Stay safe. x

    Mari | https://i--am--mari.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig