Sunday, September 13, 2020

THE FIVE SENSES GIFT IDEAS


I was BORN to get people presents; I love it, I get so excited to write my to-buy lists and (best of all) could sit and wrap them all day with all my pretty paper and gift bags. I can see into my future, and I’m definitely going to be that middle-aged woman who wears linen trousers and her cashmere jumper tied round her shoulders who puts together a gift hamper to say thank-you to our neighbours, Nigel and Barbara, for having us over for a barbecue. And I am okay with that. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I do get stuck sometimes, and when that happens, you’ll more than likely find me on Pinterest or looking at my fellow bloggers’ gift guides for a bit of inspo. Surfing the ol’ interwebz is where I first came across the ‘5 Senses’ gift idea, and I immediately thought it was the cutest bloody thing I’d ever seen! The basic premise is that rather than getting one ‘main’ gift for that special someone, you get them five gifts; one that relates to each of the five senses. These seem to be more suited to anniversary presents or significant others, but I don’t see why this couldn’t be used for your friends or family. I decided to do this for my boyfriend’s birthday this weekend, but I thought I’d use it for a blog post and include a few ideas for each sense, in case you wanted to experiment with this too!

Taste
The boozer in me would immediately think an alcoholic drink the person you’re buying for likes. In my case, I got Kyle a boujie bottle of Merlot [which I fully intend on drinking half of], but it’s nice to think about the person you’re buying for and what their chosen tipple might be; a nice bottle of gin or even a few bottles of craft beers. If they’re not a drinker, how about a box of chocolates, a hot sauce set for the spice fiends among you, or a really cute one could be a gift card to their favourite restaurant providing they swear on their nan that they’ll be taking you with them when they go. 

Sight
I went for the most obvious choice possible; a framed photo of the two of us together. We’ve been together for two months, so it’s still a new relationship and I think it’s a bit of a right of passage to get a photo framed. The ‘sight’ category is one you can get massively creative with because, well, it could kind of be anything you can see, but I’d be thinking cinema tickets, maybe a disposable camera for your next trip away together, a great one for Christmas would be a calendar filled with photos of you together, and actually, now I think about it, why didn’t I just get my face printed on a pair of socks for him???


Smell
This is another fun one with looooads of possibilities. For Kyle, and because I love his beard so much, I got him a pot of beard cleanser from LUSH called Kalamazoo; it smells amazing if you’ve not heard of it before! Another good one for beardy boys would be a beard oil set or a nice aftershave or cologne. I’ve also loved the idea of a scented candle or some incense burners to make your home smell beautiful. You could also go for a bath bomb, a bath and body set or a reed diffuser, depending on how in touch with their feminine side they are (but my general rule is to NOT date a guy who’s not in touch with their feminine side).

Touch
Touch is a favourite of mine to ponder! You could go for something like a dressing gown or a pair of slippers. Other things I thought of were a gift voucher for a spa day so you could go and get a massage together, or (forever on the subject of beards, aren’t I?) a beard grooming kit. This is also an opportunity to get freaky as hell; for my 18+ huns, just head to Ann Summers if ya know what I’m saying. Me, as a good Christian woman who’d never dream of such a thing, decided to go for a set of Clavin Klein underwear because I know he wears them, and if you don’t get undies for your birthday, was it even your birthday??? 

Sound
This one was an easy one for me; my boyfriend is a drummer and I decided to get him a pair of baby pink drumsticks so they’re true to the Jasmine brand (I hope he finds it as funny as I do!). If you are also dating or are friends with a musician, I think its cute and really personal to find something thoughtful that relates to their instrument of choice like personalised guitar picks. Some other fun things could be tickets to a gig or tickets to a comedy show. Or you could go for a portable speaker or a pair of headphones for them to listen to their music on. Another cute, and hella budget friendly, idea is to create a playlist for them which costs sweet F A and is really thoughtful; you can say a lot with a playlist!

Having to choose a gift for each sense makes you think outside the usual box; it makes you think of things you’d never think of before! I just think it’s such a novel way of getting a little bit creative, and showing someone how much you care and how well you know them. Now if you don’t mind, I’m off to Google ‘professional gift buyer jobs’ for the rest of the day.

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig