Thursday, January 24, 2019

URBAN DECAY | NAKED CHERRY PALETTE REVIEW



After repping a particularly persistent case of conjunctivitis when I was about 12 years old - and running around with pink eyes for months because of it - I vowed never to wear pink or red eyeshadows. I managed to re-infect myself with it every week or so because I simply couldn’t face going into year 7 without my Dream Matte Mousse and Great Lash Mascara slathered on. The sore, weepy, crusty, bruised-looking state my peepers were in wasn’t a great look. So obviously, as soon as I kicked the conjunctivitis once and for all, I invested in the most fetching blue and green eyeshadow palette (alas, I cannot remember the name!). I was living. the. dream. 

But then when I started to get a little bit older, and began retiring the makeup products of yesteryear, I realised that maybe my white eyeliner/concealer-lips combo wasn’t the one. And maybe, just maybe, nudes, pinks and reds were actually supposed? to? look? good??? After much Instagram-based research, I made the exciting discovery that one didn’t have to appear to have an eye infection when wearing these colours on their lids. Who’d have thunk it?


So, since then, I’ve frittered what little money I have on eyeshadow palettes. Less of the ever-so fetching blue and green variety - and much much more of the neutrals, nudes, pinks, purples and reds. The first one I got was the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette (a cult favourite, and I definitely can see why), then I got the Naked 3 Palette, then the Anastasia Beverly Hills Soft Glam Palette, some of the Zoeva Palettes…the list goes on and on (the last time I counted my eyeshadow palettes, I had 28. *erk*).


Since I’m between graduating in the summer and job-hunting, money to splurge on makeup is a blimmin rarity. New releases and much-hyped products have a bit of a tendency to pass me by. Luckily, Santa was good to me this year, and I got quite a substantial set of beauty-related prezzies from my mum. I’m honestly not sure what she does with her time other than peruse the department stores in Australia and post me extravagant parcels of high-end beauty goodies. But am I complaining? Absolutely not. As part of my Christmas presents this year, I received the Naked Cherry Palette by Urban Decay. I can assure you; squeals and hyperventilating occurred.

Even though I’m a little late to the party (the Naked Cherry was released in October 2018), I’m so excited to write my own review of the much-hyped, much-loved, much-insta-famous palette. Ever since the first pictures were leaked, it seems like every man and their dog was dying to try it out. At first, to be completely honest, I was a little bit *mehhhh*. I thought that SO many pinks and reds in one palette would be a little bit limiting as to the makeup looks you could do. Then, once it was actually released, I started to die a little as I saw all my favourite makeup bloggers and instagrammers turning LeWk$$$ and I really really really wanted it.


I *think* this is the most expensive Urban Decay Palette so far. The UD website still has it listed for sale at £42, whereas the others (granted, they’ve been out for a little longer now) are between £38 and £40. I don’t ever seem to remember any of the other palettes being released at such a high price, though. I defo might be wrong about that though so plz don’t sue me, UD. 



As is usual for the Urban Decay palettes, they come in a large-ish, sleek, rectangular compact that contains twelve eyeshadows. The shades are in order from left to right, and lightness to darkness (I was 100% triggered by the Naked Smokey palette because the dark shades were in the middle *HELP*). All Urban Decay palettes are cruelty free and all the shadows can be used wet or dry. Having said that, I’ve still never tried to use their shadows wet before. I find them to be more than pigmented enough as it is. Plus, I never leave the house to go anywhere where full, dramatic, bold eyeshadow is really necessary loooool. But it’s good to know!


We’ve got the usual provocative names; Hot Spot, Juicy, Devilish, and Young Love, and the palette comes with a handy brush. Well, I say ‘handy’. I usually don’t use the brushes that come with the Urban Decay palettes. I’ve always used my own brushes - but I do absolutely love the brushes that come with the Anastasia BH palettes. However, this complimentary brush is a different style to the ones I’ve got with the older UD palettes. One side definitely has longer, fluffier bristles than the ones I’ve had before. Maybe it will get a bit of use? If not, my Sigma E40 brush or my Morphe M501 Pro brush will be my go-to for blending out these hyper-hyper-pigmented shades.

 Left to right: Hot Spot, Caution, Bang Bang, Feelz, Juicy, Turn On, Ambitious, Bing, Devilish, Young Love, Drunk Dial + Privacy.


I quoted a lot of Vine as I swatched these out for the first time - which was for these blog pics because ANY true blogger knows that you can’t just enjoy makeup; you have to hide them until you can photograph them. I really was impressed by the quality and opacity of the shades. The first two shades, Hot Spot and Caution were a bit *meh*, but they must be base shades or transitional shades. They’re a little bit non-existent, but I’m sure they serve a purpose for people who actually know what they’re doing when it comes to makeup. From the third shade, Bang Bang, that glittery pink, my jaw was on the flooooor and I almost couldn’t swatch them quick enough. If I had to choose my three favourite shades, they’d have to be Turn On, Ambitious, and Drunk Dial. 


I’m yet to actually put any of this stuff on my face, but Instagram will know about it when I do. I’m very excited that I’ve got it in time for Valentine’s Day, where Chris will be forced to compliment my makeup every ten minutes while we’re out for dinner. That being said, I’m also quite excited to be wearing this when Spring finally decides to show up. The shades on the left-hand-side of the palette are so warm and shimmery; ideal for the floral-inspired makeup of the coming warmer days. I’m actually a bit surprised this palette was released in October, thinking about it. 

So, a big big thank-you to Santa Claus. A big well-done to Urban Decay. A big WTF to whoever is responsible for pricing these products. And a HUGE pat on my own back for finally pulling some motivation out of somewhere and writing a blog post!

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Ooh I had no idea they'd crept up to £42! I remember buying my original Naked palettes for £35, it's crazy how quickly they've increased. It's such a gorgeous palette though xx

    Gemma Etc. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig