Tuesday, February 19, 2019

MY NIÇOISE SALAD RECIPE


If seeing the words ‘niçoise salad’ doesn’t immediately make you think of Heather and Megan Vandergeld from White Chicks, then please go, now, and watch White Chicks. We’ve been having a few really beautiful sunny days in February so far, and it’s making me crave ice lollies, Pimm’s and 99s with flakes. And for the first time in literal years, I’m starting to fancy a salad. Now, I completely live by the Bible passage that states: Thou Shalt Not Go Into A Restaurant And Order A Salad, because as eeevvvveeeryyyyone knows, it’s not real food; you’ll want to demolish a burger within an hour or so of polishing one off. And no salad on this earth is worth some of the prices you see on menus nowadays. However, I am definitely of the opinion that for about six or seven quid, you can make a family-size version of one of the most delicious salads around. 



When I was digging around the interwebz (BBC Good Food + Taste will never steer you wrong) trying to find a recipe, I realised that there aren’t really any concrete ‘rules’ to a niçoise salad. There’s about a million variations on the protein; you can have anchovies, tuna or salmon. Tomatoes, or no tomatoes. Black beans or…ya know…no black beans. The only thing they all seem to agree on is that you definitely need eggs and green beans. So I decided to go rogue - well, as rogue as preparing a salad allows one to go - and kind of make up my own recipe, which you can find below…

My recipe needs:
1 handful of green beans
1 medium red onion
1 handful of halved black olives
1 bag of mixed salad leaves
4 medium-boiled eggs
1 tin of tuna 
1/3rd a bottle of Mary Berry Salad Dressing with Rapeseed Oil, White Wine Vinegar and Dijon Mustard

[If you leave out the tuna, this is a really lovely veggie recipe, too!]


I guess the images kind of speak for themselves but the main steps are:
  • steam the green beans for about 7 minutes so they’re still firm
  • boil the eggs for about 7 and a half minutes in simmering water so the white is set and the yolk is mostly set
  • empty the salad bag into a large bowl
  • add the halved black olives and drained tuna on top
  • slice and dice the red onion and throw it in
  • slice the boiled eggs into quarters, and slice the green beans in half and scatter on top
  • crack some black pepper
  • attempt to avoid the gaze of the horrific Mary Berry on the side of the bottle and throw in some of the salad dressing. Give the salad a toss (if you know what I mean) and drizzle the remainder over. 
  • chill in the fridge for an hour before serving
  • (bonus tip) let the salad get back up to room-temperature by spending a good long while faffing around taking pictures of it 



I don’t know if you can really tell, but the beautiful spring-like mornings are getting me so inspired and, if I’m honest, just so so so much happier and more interested in looking after myself. I suffer with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) through the winter months and I can’t tell you how much better I’m feeling to just have a few bright mornings. 

So here’s to more of this good weather, good food, and feeling bloody good. 

Until it snows for the entirety of April like last year!

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. yummy! i love a good nicoise salad!

    cute blog babe! You are awesome! I'm following and I would love if you could visit my blog and maybe follow me too :)
    TheNotSoGirlyGirl // Instagram // Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig