Friday, July 8, 2022

THE ORDINARY COVERAGE FOUNDATION | REVIEW + SWATCHES (1.2N)

If you’re like me, you’ve got two very defined stashes of makeup. One stash is comprised of exquisitely packaged, masterfully formulated and, not to mention, extortionately priced products. These are the products we save for special occasions; my face of makeup for my graduation, family members’ weddings, date nights and Christmas Days must’ve been worth an absolute fortune. Between my lavish and treasured collection of NARS, Charlotte Tilbury and Fenty Beauty, I dread to think what I must have spent over the years. The other is our everyday collection; the Monday to Friday in the office, the Sunday morning coffee-run, and the odd schlep to Aldi…if I can be bothered. And I simply cannot bring myself to waste my Estee Lauder Double Wear (at £32 a bottle, no less!) for a casual trip out. The pang of fear I get when I’m squirting out my boujie foundation – even when I am using it for a special occasion! – at the thought of washing it off in a mere few hours’ time is a reminder of my new-found frugality. And frugality is going to help me buy a house one day!

But where on earth am I going with all this? Well, I am a firm believer that just because you’re using a cheaper foundation and being a frugal queen does NOT MEAN  you need to resign yourself to a poor-quality orange cake face for all your days in the office. If you do anything for yourself this month, then you need to buy The Ordinary Coverage Foundation. I’m sure this won’t be the first time this foundation has made its way onto your internet browser, Instagram feed or YouTube ads; it was so incredibly popular and hyped around the time I was getting super in to makeup. It really was the wonder-product. Despite it creeping up slightly in price since back then, the consistent four-to-five star review holds true, and it’s been a staple in my makeup bag for around 4 years now. The undisputed ‘foundation’…get it?...of my casual makeup collection.

The brand The Ordinary made waves in the beauty community for providing incredibly good-quality skincare for an incredibly low cost. I remember how much buzz there was surrounding it. Then they released their two foundations to a really positive reception; you won’t have any problems whatsoever finding a million other beauty blogs and YouTube reviews of them. The formula was highly praised and the range of 21 shades (especially for a budget brand) was really impressive.

Of the two foundations released, the Serum Foundation and the Coverage Foundation, this one is my preferred option. It’s called the Coverage foundation for a very valid reason. This stuff masks my freckles pretty well for a foundation that costs so little. It feels light and comfortable on my skin all day in the office, and the colour match is spot on. I always always always match my foundation shade using Temptalia’s Foundation Matrix online when purchasing rogue products off the internet, and it’s always served me pretty well. It’s super blendable and I always apply mine with a buffer brush for a smooth finish. I also think it’s fab that the bottle comes with a pump, as sooo many pricier brands don’t even bother throwing that in with their fifty quid products.

I do, of course, have a few small qualms. After about 8hrs of wear, the foundation starts to look a bit naff. My skin is a bit oily in places and a bit dry in others, and annoyingly, if I get an itch round my nose, this foundation can make an incredibly swift exit if I so much as tickle my nose with a nail. But, for the price point, I think that’s fair play. It’s really not the worst thing in the world. It does also mean that after a full day in the office, it’s relatively easy to remove.

When I first started purchasing this product, I remember it being around the £5.00 mark, which is absolutely crazy looking back! I’ve not actually been into a high street beauty shop for aaaages – thanks Covid! – but I’d be very surprised if you could find anything for that price. Even the prices of the really rubbish brands and products are probably suitably adjusted for inflation. The Ordinary Coverage Foundation is now going for £6.90 on most supplier’s websites. I always tend to use LookFantastic when I’m due a stock up, as there’s more-often-than-not some sort of discount code you can use.

So, for me, this is absolutely perfect for an everyday foundation, and it’s one that I will repurchase over and over and over again. Personally, finding a reliable and good-quality every day foundation is a little bit boring to blog about, but it’s something that’s so important to get right! My preference is always swatching and researching my next ‘exciting’ makeup purchase, but realistically, The Ordinary is what I’m spending most of my hours in, and it’s the face that greets most of the people I’m interacting with day-to-day. 

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig