Sunday, January 17, 2021

MY BEDROOM TOUR


After over a year of living in my dad’s conservatory down in Devon, sleeping on a pullout sofa bed and trying to cram all my clothing onto one small rail, I am so crazy excited to finally have my own space. While I’m so grateful to my dad for allowing me to monopolise one of the ‘communal’ rooms in his house while I saved up, I had always always always wanted to get myself sorted so I could put my own choices and style into my room. After living amongst my dad’s furniture and artwork in the conservatory [a particularly garish, large nude painting on the wall, to name the most offensive!], I wanted to create a sense of calm, minimalism and non-cluttered space. And most of all, I wanted it white and pink!

I feel like I was so lucky to find this flat in Bristol; the living room is so bright and airy and the two bedrooms are huge. I love that the walls are pure white, meaning any decor I choose will look great. I’d love to - at some point - get another set of accents in maybe a beige or a sky blue to switch it up. The great thing is that all my base items are white, which means I can do just that. My first love, however, is baby or blush pink. I’ve had pink hair for aaaaages now, and despite being a 25 year old woman, it’s definitely still my favourite colour. I wanted to incorporate blush pink into my room as much as possible, whilst sticking with a white base which will allow me to change up the colour scheme as and when I want to. But with the pink, I feel like it’s sophisticated and feminine, whilst also being quite playful and fresh. 



The first point of call was to choose my bed, and what a bloody ordeal it was to get my hands on the one I wanted. After trawling the website for a while, I came across the IKEA PLATSA Bed system, which comes in a variety of shapes and combinations. It’s designed for amazing storage solutions, with shelving, drawers and under-bed pods for stashing all your stuff in. But the one I fell in love with was the one with the shelving and rail at the foot of the bed. Not only is it an amazingly useful way of storing my clothing and bedding, I also think it looks amazing. I love how it almost acts as a room divider too, and I think that it’s really lovely to hang my prettier clothes up as a ‘display’ piece, as well as a great storage addition to my room. 


The shelves at the foot of my bed could use a little bit of editing. At the moment, there’s a few random pieces on there and I can’t help feeling it’s looking pretty cluttered and messy. I’d like it to, again, be more of a display area, rather than somewhere for me to shove all my junk. I’ve got my makeup brushes there at the moment, which I like. My sunglasses look pretty good displayed there too. I’ve also got my MAC lipstick collection in their acrylic stand on one shelf. But the hats and my makeup bag need to find a better home, really! 

I’m still moving bits around and still finding the best places for things, but it’s a work in progress. I ordered some eBay Faux Hanging Wisteria to wrap around the rail at the end, which I think looks really pretty. I love hanging plants but obviously didn’t think real ivy would be a very good idea. Artificial plants really liven up a room and make it feel fresh, and I keep accumulating them because I think they’re so pretty. I just love having that space to play with; this is the first time I’ve been able to have my own room and buy all my own furniture for it, and choose everything to be how I want, and I’m so happy and excited about that.



I shimmied around the positioning of my IKEA TOFTBYN Mirror and Homebase Sophia Scallop Occasional Chair in Blush to create a beautiful corner of my room. I’d originally had the two round the corner in my nook, but I like to be able to see them because the chair and mirror are both beautifully decorative pieces in their own right, and deserve to be seen. Luckily I’m only short, so having my mirror at an angle on the floor works really well for me. I don’t think I’m allowed to drill into the walls anyway, but I like how mirrors look when leant up against the wall - it’s quite casual and understated. 

The chair is one of the great loves of my life; a blush velvet scalloped chair straight out of my dreams. It’s quite mermaidy and, I think, Gatsby-esque. I don’t actually sit on it ever, it’s almost solely for decoration, but I absolutely love it. I bought a Dalmatian print cushion cover from eBay for my chair, which I think adds a little bit of whimsy too. 



In keeping with my white base-furniture theme, I chose the blogger favourites: the IKEA MALM Bedside Table and Drawers. These have been plastered throughout every blog post and youtube video tour for years, and I finally bought my own! Despite them being from different ranges, the MALM drawers match my bed perfectly, too; they really look like they go together. I love the clean, sleek feel to them. I can’t stand clutter, so even the omission of handles on the drawers makes my little heart feel content. 


Displayed on my bedside table is my copper geometric lamp, which I bought online before I moved, and just a couple of coasters for my tea. I’ve also currently got a card from my boyfriend on there which says ‘I camembert to be away from you’! On my MALM drawers, I’ve got my Logik 32” Smart HD TV on one end, [yes, I was watching Tiger King while I was taking these photos] and a Yankee Candle, my collection of copies of Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, a currently empty picture frame and my Daisy by Marc Jacobs which I got for Christmas. Again, I just don’t want too much going on and being distracting, and it seems a shame to cover the sleek surfaces in a load of shite, so I still feel like I could edit a bit more!



I absolutely adore my bedding and soft furnishings. I already had a ridiculous 13 sets of bedding before moving out, so I’m trying to be restrictive and only buying things I need. After I got a new couple of pillows from Wilko, I also chose a beautiful waffle throw in a dove grey to go on my bed. My boyfriend’s parents also chose me a beautiful blush pink throw which I also sleep with every night - a girl can never have too many throws. I love my oversized Wilko Faux Fur Pink Cushions and slightly smaller George at Asda Soft Pink Cushions. I’ve now become one of those girls who have to chuck a load of cushions onto the floor to get into bed every night, and put them all back on in the morning! I also have a smaller blush pink knit throw from IKEA from years ago, which I drape over the end of my bed, just for that extra cosy feel. 


And on the floor is my pride and joy, yet my greatest challenge; my George at Asda Supersoft Rug in Cream, which is the fluffiest, deepest rug the world has ever known. It’s already fallen victim to a couple of splashes of red wine, and a bit of mud off my dirty trainers. It’s one of those rugs that shows every tiny speck of muck, so I’m forever picking fluff off of it and attacking it with my Vanish! But I wouldn’t have it any other way. My carpet is brown but, as we’re renting, there’s not an awful lot I can do about that, so a huuuuge cream rug is the next best thing. I feel like the room is much brighter and feels larger with a light-coloured rug. It’s also super thick and plush, and feels lovely underfoot every morning when I get out of bed.


I feel as though I’ve still got a bit of tweaking to do, but I am so proud to have achieved what I have. I saved up and paid for all this furniture myself, and I feel like my vision really has come to life. I had quite a clear idea of what I wanted, and wasn’t terribly sure if it’d come off, but I’m really in love with my space. The thing that’s most special though, is that it’s mine. I have felt quite displaced over the last year since leaving my flat in London; I felt like I didn’t have a place that felt like ‘me’, or felt like ‘home’, and I’ve really regained that. 

I feel such a sense of calm, such a sense of pride about how my bedroom looks. It’s also given me the motivation to do more blogging and YouTube, because my photos and backdrop will be so beautiful, and a true reflection of my own aesthetic. I know this all sounds mad dramatic, but it really has meant such a lot to me to choose, design and arrange all my own things. Welcome to my happy-place!


Lots of love,

Jasmine x




SHARE:

1 comment

  1. You have fabulous artistic and practical taste in fashion, beauty and interior decor!
    I love the positioning of the Homebase Sopfia Scallop chair with throw pillow,
    the Ikea Toftbyn selfie mirror, the wide screen TV on the dresser,
    the Ikea Platsa Bed system clothes rail and shelving,
    and the extremely comfortable looking bed with the floral sheet set and pink throw pillows.
    It's great that you included the shopping links for all the bedroom furnishings.
    The natural light coming in from the window looks wonderful.
    You look gorgeous in the outfit photo!
    I also love your recent video titled A Big SHEIN Try-on Haul | JasmineMcCrae - YouTube as well as all the other videos you've made there and uploaded to your YouTube channel.

    my blog
    my YouTube
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig