Sunday, November 1, 2020

PIXI BEAUTY SKINTREATS REVIEW | PEEL & POLISH VS MILKY PEEL


I have many loves in this life; eggs benedict, fresh bedding, pinot grigio, Judge Judy, any puppy that walks the earth and, of course, my skincare. I discovered PIXI Beauty Skintreats about a year ago now, and I’m a convert. I remember almost choking in the cashier’s face the first time I bought a few products [I dropped £75 on three items]. But I also remember how amaaaazing I felt after my first go with them. And since then, I’ve been absolutely dedicated to filling my bathroom cupboard with all of the PIXI Skintreats. Of all the things I’ve tried so far, their peels have got to be my favourite. I wanted to do a full review and comparison post on the two I currently have on the go; the Peel & Polish and the Hydrating Milky Peel. Both are LUSH and both are DIVINE, but here’s why…

So if you’re thick like me, you’ll have thought that a peel is something you put on your face, wait for it to dry, and then peel off. That’s what I thought I was getting when I bought one for the first time, but then - after a bit of googling - I found out that a peel is a product which carefully exfoliates the skin using an acid, which removes dead skin cells and minimises impurities and marks. They basically work to give your chops a smoother and more radiant appearance. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see etc etc etc. And now I literally cannot be without them. 



PIXI Skintreats Hydrating Milky Peel | £24

This beautiful little tube of goodness is formulated with coconut, making it immediately a bit of me. It also contains probiotics which protect and balance the skin, and willow bark extract to clear and minimise the pores. I really like this one - it’s my newest addition to my skincare collection and I have been enjoying using it. It’s like a thin, whitish, gel-like formula and, to be honest, looks very very suspicious. It looks especially suspicious when it’s applied to the face, but it’s kinda irrelevant and my mind is perpetually in the gutter anyway. You whack a thin layer on after cleansing, leave it for a few minutes, then rub it in circular motions to exfoliate before rinsing it off. 


This one has a really weird build-up with the natural cellulose ingredient when you exfoliate - it sort of flakes and clumps together. It’s a really strange texture, but you can feel it working to buff off the dead cells. This one also contains Arginine to encourage collagen and elastin, which I really hope I don’t need quite yet. The coconut nourishes and conditions, so you don’t come away feeling hella dry and scraped to pieces, which can happen with some other exfoliating products. I really love the white and signature PIXI green packaging of this one; it looks beautifully minimal and is a great product to have on ‘display’ [I have some skincare with dodgy packaging I hide away, but my nice stuff gets pride of place on a shelf!]. 


PIXI Skintreats Peel & Polish | £26

While I’m writing this, I’ve got some of the product information up to make sure I include it all and get it right, but I currently find myself bamboozled; this doesn’t say  a n y w h e r e  in the description that this smells of watermelon, but trust and believe me when I say that this has the most delicious watermelon scent. The Peel & Polish costs £2 more than its Hydrating Milky Peel cousin, but to be honest, I can see why. This one is super gritty, a little thicker in consistency and seems to pull its weight slightly more. The active ingredients in this one are natural fruit enzymes, which work to loosen dead skin cells. Lactic acid exfoliates the skin, and cellulose peels and sugar extracts polish whatever’s left over! 


This one’s marketed as a salon-quality peel, and I’m really not going to argue with them [despite never *actually* having a salon peel]. I almost did a double-take at myself in the mirror after the first time I used this. It’s used in the same way as the Milky Peel; after cleansing, smooth a thin layer over the skin and leave for a few minutes, then massage in circular motions to exfoliate and rinse. After I’d done this, I honestly felt like I had an incredibly flattering blurring and brightening instagram filter on. I couldn’t believe how fresh and clean my skin looked; like about a year’s worth of deceased and crappy skin cells had been bitch-slapped off my face. I felt like I’d just discovered the elixir of life, and that’s definitely, certainly, 100% the dramatic hyperbole of a Gemini, but allow me.  



The comparison

So between the two, I definitely have a clear favourite, but I think it really depends on your skin type and what you’re wanting from a peel product for use at home. Both are vegan and cruelty free, so they’re scoring massive bonus points. They’re also both suitable for all skin types, which I love. The Hydrating Milky Peel, for me, does what it says on the tin; it leaves me feeling pretty fresh, but mostly nourished and soft. My skin looks brighter and feels like it’s had a good clean - it’s just a little touch of luxury to add into my skincare routine. 

The Peel & Polish is my definite favourite, though, and something I never ever want to be without. It’s gritty enough for a really deep scrub, and the difference after I’ve used it is incredible. The evening effect on my skintone, the brightness of my complexion and the glow it gives me is so noticeable, and the effects last a good couple of days. I guess it all depends on what you want your peel to do, and what your main skin concerns are. 

My skin is generally quite oily, and I don’t use many moisturising products because I don’t feel I need them, but the Milky Peel gives me a lovely hit of hydration when I fancy it. But my main concern with my skin is dullness and spot scarring and marks, and for me, the Peel & Polish just works absolute wonders. It’s worth every bit of hype and even though it’s a couple of quid more than the Milky Peel, I’d repurchase every time!


Lots of love,

Jasmine x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig