Friday, May 27, 2022

WHAT NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT COMING OFF THE CONTRACEPTIVE INJECTION | DEPO PROVERA

 

Contraception and hormones are something 50% of the population will have to deal with. We all have an opinion on it, we’ve all agonised over which method will be the best for us. We’ve all worried about a potential negative experience or reaction. We’ve all lamented that there are no male-pills! Now, I will preface this whole blog post by saying that I’m not an expert. But I most certainly am a girl who has experienced what so many of us dread; a terrible response to a new method of contraception, and a real sense of withdrawal after coming off a method that I’d been so happy with for years.

For context; I was 13 years old when I got my first period. I remember being shocked by the amount of blood. I remember trying for over an hour to insert a tampon but finding it too painful and overwhelming. I remember crying from the bathroom that I couldn’t come out, and my mum trying to speak to me through the door. I think I tolerated about three periods before I decided that it wasn’t for me. I wasn’t able to function properly whatsoever. Between the searing cramps, the (what seemed like) fifteen litres of blood leaving my body daily, the money spent on sanitary products and pain relief, I had absolutely had it with periods after THREE. I swore to myself that I wouldn’t – and shouldn’t have to - put up with it. The contraceptive injection, for some people, stops periods entirely. So I was in the doctor’s office like a shot, and thankfully it worked in stopping my period almost immediately, and I carried on for years as – what felt like to me – as normal.

At the risk of sounding like a bra-burning Feminazi, those of us who get periods have it bloody hard. I think it takes the proverbial piss that we’re expected to carry on as normal, masquerade as functioning members of society and continue work, looking after our families, cook, commute, smile, all whilst it feels like the universe is falling out of our nether-regions. I’ve said many times that if males had to deal with a period (or whatever their equivalent might be (an unstoppable leaking penis for one week out of every month) ha!) that they’d have sorted it out by now. If they had to put up with what we have to, we’d have had paid menstrual leave from work, free sanitary products and far less stigma surrounding it.
But…enough ranting…

My boyfriend and I were chatting about starting our family, and I’m well aware that the longer you’re on the contraceptive injection, the longer it can take for your fertility to go back to normal. I think I’d frightened myself into worrying I’d rendered myself infertile from all the years I’d been on it. We talked about it at length and, after a while, came to the conclusion I’d come off it and transition to the pill. I spoke to my GP about it and they explained that the oral pill doesn’t stay in your system like the injection does, so it means that once you stop taking it, you’re practically back to normal and able to fall pregnant.

I spent a great deal of time Googling things like ‘coming off depo provera’ and ‘what happens when you come off the contraceptive injection’. I was really worried about everything. What if my period never came back? What if it came back too much? How will my body react? What will happen to my mental health?

I was on depo provera for a total of 13 years and it would’ve been due at the beginning of January 2022. I had around 6 months ‘off’ it, but it was one of the most miserable transitions of my life. I have since made the decision to go back onto the injection. I am already feeling so much better in myself, and I’ve only been back on for about 4 days. It’s incredible that the effect our hormones have on us is so vast. It completely impacts your personality and ability to cope. About three months in, feeling absolutely hopeless, I wrote the following in the notes on my phone.

“I currently feeling massive dysphoria. Whilst on the injection, I never had a period, PMS symptoms, acne or weight gain. In the first month off depo, I experienced breast swelling and tenderness that woke me up in the night it was so sore. I changed up my skincare around the same time I came off depo, so I can’t be 100% sure if it’s that or the hormone change, but my skin is seriously misbehaving and I’m spottier than I have been since my early teenage years.

I fell out with my boyfriend and cried over the stupidest stuff for around 2 weeks, and was uncomfortably emotional and sensitive. That’s settled slightly now, but I know in myself I am in a permanently heightened state of sensitivity. I’ve also absolutely ballooned in my lower abdomen, and my weight has shot up by almost a whole stone in just 2 months (I was 9st 7lbs and am now 10st 5lbs), this is despite realising the weight gain, and then trying to eat better and walking 4 miles every day with a new job.

I feel like I do not recognise or trust my body. I feel like it is not MY body. I feel overweight, bloated and uncomfortable, my usual flat chest feels larger and cumbersome. My spots are making me self-conscious. I feel very ‘aware’ of myself physically, and this is highly out of character as I’m generally incredibly confident and happy go lucky.

The mental changes have emotionally exhausted me, as now I feel I cannot trust my instinctual reaction to new information or events. Sometimes, EVERYTHING feels too much, and I’m hyper-aware of looking like the stereotypical psycho/needy/emotional girl. And the flashes of the ‘me’ I know - the sassy, carefree, confident personality - are fleeting and few.”

So essentially, it made me feel like shit. And I didn’t want to feel like shit. After writing that, I came on a period that lasted for an entire month. It was absolutely relentless – not to mention terrifying – to have a full, heavy period for a month solid. Not having it. I spoke with my GP again and, as long as I come off the injection for around a year prior to wanting to have children, I’ll be fine.

This is only my experience, and I found myself feeling disappointed by the lack of information available to those who are wanting to stop a method of contraception after a long time. My guess is that most people just expect things to ‘go back to normal’, and from what I’ve heard, that’s simply not the case. For many, your body is confused, your emotions destabilise and you can start to lose the plot. I turned to places like Reddit or community Facebook groups to try to have discussions with people in a similar situation. I was so surprised at the lack of official data around it. You can find hundreds of thousands of pages on getting ON to a method of contraception, but barely anything about coming off of it.

I am a firm believer in that everyone should have the relationship with their menstrual cycle that THEY WANT. And, for me, I don’t want one. Don’t get me wrong, I love nothing more than seeing a girl who embraces her time of the month. I think there’s an immense amount of power in being able to maintain a normal level of functionality whilst your hormones are raging and there’s blood and gore to be dealt with. People who can cope, I absolutely salute you. Those of you who don’t feel like they should have to cope, I’m right there with you.

Lots of love,
Jasmine x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig