Wednesday, November 28, 2018

MY AUTUMN FAVOURITES


Hasn’t it been a bloody miserable autumn? I can’t remember the last time I saw a blue sky, wasn’t getting drizzled on, or being able to leave my front door without 72million layers on. But even though I’m practically overdosing on my Vitamin D supplements and adding various UV therapy lights to my Amazon basket, this time of year is definitely my favourite for makeup. I can never resist a dark and moody lipstick, or a taupe smokey eye, and I love that autumn allows you to go a bit spookier than you usually would. I’ve chosen a few of my favourite autumnal makeup bits; products I’ve been reaching for lots over the last couple of months to try to inject a bit of warmth into these sub-zero, wet, foggy November days...


This is the unmistakable rip off of Kat Von D’s Shade and Light Contour Palette by Make Up Revolution. Which I kind of want to hate it for. But also kind of makes me love it. The original KVD Beauty version costs £37, so this dupe absolute shameless copy by MUR makes similar shades accessible to those of us who aren’t drowning in fifty pound notes. The palettes aren’t completely identical; some of the shades in the real version are shimmery or glittery, whereas the knockoff palette contains all matte product. I personally prefer a matte selection…I just think it suits autumnal every-day makeup a bit better for me. This Make Up Revolution palette contains mostly cool-toned neutrals with a smattering of warmer brown/terracottas. I think it’s blinking perfect for this time of year, and so so so affordable.

On the complete opposite side of the affordable scale, we have the deliciously luxurious and sssuuuuuppppppeeeeerrrrr high-quality Soft Glam palette by the bloggers’ lord and saviour: Anastasia Beverly Hills. Literally all 14 colours featured in the palette scream ‘autumn’, and are primarily warmer-toned to brighten up your makeup. I’ve said it before about ABH eyeshadows, but the powders are so incredibly opaque, I’d probably call them ‘pressed-pigments’. You don’t need to use a lot. For reference, I took this palette away with me on my month-long Eurotrip, and I’ve still barely made a dent in them. I love the four glitter-shades, too; nice for experimenting with, but not too much to dominate the entire palette.



Last Christmas I was blessed by the makeup Gods and received the MAC Snow Ball Mini Lipstick Kit, which contained twelve mini versions of MAC’s most popular shades of lipstick. I already owned a few of the shades, but got a chance to try a lot of shades I hadn’t plucked up the courage to buy for myself (£17.50 is a lot of money to end up looking like a straight-up fool (MAC Lipstick in Russian Red, I’m talking to you!)). I fell in love with Diva, which i’d never tried before. It’s a bloody red which looks so good during the day with a light dusting of cool-toned eyeshadow. I also love Whirl for this time of year. I’ve loved it for eevvvveeerrrr thanks to Kylie Jenner, and I just think it’s so pretty for colder autumn days or nights.


I usually use a brunette brow fibre gel, but when the weather gets a bit cooler, I go a bit ham on the silver shampoo, and like to use a cooler brow gel to match my brows to my hair. I’ve dabbled in Zoeva’s makeup products as well as their brush sets, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every single product by Zoeva that I’ve tried out. This brow gel makes no exception. Though, I will say that I’m quite lucky in that my brows are already very full and thick, so I’m not sure if this would be the only product you’d need to use if your brows are more sparse. I use this to set my brows down, to make them look thicker and to make them look slightly ashy and greyer than usual. 

L to R - Zoeva Graphic Brow Fix in Arsenic, MAC Diva, MAC Whirl, Anastasia Beverly Hills shades in Sienna, Rustic, Sultry + Mulberry, Make Up Revolution shades (unnamed)


Well, what say you? Do you change up your makeup habits during this time of year? I always like to have a bit of an experiment. It’s a fun game I like to call “how ghoulish can I look without people clocking on?”. In any case, I really hope you found these helpful. They’re my top recommendations for additions to ya beauty collection during these minging, freezing months. Now, I’ve got to get ready to go to work, and I’m thinking misty, grey eyes and a dark taupe lipstick…

Lots of love,
Jasmine x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig